Acne during Pregnancy
During pregnancy, your body may act up a little. Even if you have never had issues with this before you may experience pimples and acne. On the other hand, if you had issues with this before, they may clear up during this time. Whatever your previous history is, you want to keep your skin in optimal state by moisturizing it. If pimples and acne start to appear do not pick, squeeze, scratch or pop them as this may create scars. If you have severe acne, you may want to talk to your doctor about it.
How could I prevent it?
Here are some suggestions to prevent acne:
- Wash your face at least twice a day with a mild cleanser. It is a good idea to exfoliate the skin, yet you don’t want to scrub it.
- As we said before, do not pick, squeeze, pick or pop your pimples. This may not only create scars, but it may spread the infection.
- To reduce stress, exercise often. This will also help with the flow of blood and oxygen to your skin.
- Drink enough water each day. This helps clean your body from the inside out. This will also allow for great pictures during your sonograms at Here is Baby!
- Eat vegetables and fruit while avoiding sugar and refined carbohydrates.
- Avoid cosmetics that are oil based. Always clean your cosmetic brushes with soap and warm water.
- Avoid too much sunlight.
- Avoid wearing tight fitting clothes as this traps the sweat against the skin.
- Consider doing a facial at Here is Baby with our newest technology by CryoSkin, through Let it Freeze.
What can I do if I already have acne?
This are a few remedies you could use, although we always suggest talking to your doctor.
- A table spoon of lemon juice and ground cinnamon may also help in the acne spots.
- If the pimple is barely starting to break out, rub an ice cube on the affected area.
- By using a cotton ball you may want to apply vinegar and let it sit for 10-15 minutes. Another alternative is to use melon or any citric fruits to use them to exfoliate. It is extremely important that you do wash your face after this and preferably don’t do this during the day as the lemon juice may leave marks on your skin if you get exposed to sun light.
- You may want to use essential oils like lavender or tea tree. These oils are natural antibiotics which will help killing the bacteria and will help to reduce the redness, itchiness and stringing. Boil water with a few drops of the oils and use the steam. After this, you want to use cold water to close the pores.
- Use fresh garlic (half a clove) and put it on the affected area. Garlic is also a natural antibiotic.
- Beat an egg white and apply it on the face for 15 minutes. Rinse it with cold water. Egg whites have large amounts of protein and fatty acids.
One more way to help is by utilizing skin care products. At Here is Baby, we sell the Pretty Mommies line of skin care products. They utilize ingredients that are safe for pregnant and nursing mothers. You can either purchase them in our office or online at our eStore.
Don’t forget to come to Here is Baby for all your ultrasound needs!